unveil

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

I dedicate this blog to all those people who put boards outside their houses. My favorite amongst them are the warning boards that say 'Beware of Dogs'.

Indian Roads are really amusing. This discovery was brought about my observations while wandering aimlessly on these roads for past one week. I have lots of idle time and no desire to put it to any use. So I just read, eat, sleep and most importantly wander.
On one of these days my dad was driving a scooter and I had captured the backseat. I had nothing to do except for gazing around (my dad is strictly against talking while driving). So this is all I noticed, a board was hanging outside one of the houses and it said ‘To Let for girls’; I found this pretty interesting. The house owners want only girls, great! That is perhaps because girls don’t drink or smoke or spoil the walls or come back late and other such bad habits (this is the general belief, we are cashing on the reputation so far created :P). Well this is just a speculation; otherwise other options are like all the inmates of that house might be guys or girls with options open or somebody forgot to paint an ‘i’ on the board.
Next I noticed another board on a house with big black Iron Gate, the board said ‘Beware of Dogs’. What a wonderful welcome message in the nation of ‘Atithi devo bhav ’ (guest is equivalent to god). Well a big black Doberman behind the bars of the massive iron gate suggested me to take the warning seriously. I asked my brain to immediately stop processing any more thoughts against the warning or the reason behind it.
My dad was still driving silently and I was reading the nameplates outside the houses. One of these plates listed five- six doctors, three males and three females, all with same surnames. Then there was another board marking their area of specialization. This is great, they could share the basic instruments, office, stationery and even the white lab coat. Bad joke, i know but that was my first thought. Second was the perfect gender ratio, was it three couples or two couples and siblings and so on. Anyways most interesting part was the presence of two massive dogs behind the white gate and there was no board indicating the presence of these inmates, I guess they were the source of patients; the noble breadwinners of the family.
By now we were at our destination and as we dismounted, the street security marched towards us. The security demanded us to stand straight without any movement at all. Two gentlemen checked while two over saw the procedure. We were then allowed to leave, walking one step at a time. Well these gentlemen were four burly street dogs. I wonder if Municipal Corporation too is planning to put up the boards ‘beware of dogs’ at every entry point to the city.
“Welcome to Jaipur. Beware of Dogs.”

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7:38 AM, Blogger Rahul said...

Even simple signboards when left at the mercy of a fertile and bored mind can turn the writer red-faced...little did the inscriptors of those messages imagine that a demure girl sitting behind her daddy's scooter could do this to them....a probable title for the bolg..."What Were You Thinking???"

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Rahul said...

COuld do with some more blogs...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home